Sunday, March 14, 2010

Skull and Crossbones!


Saturday, March 13 was like any other normal Saturday at the Sass house, Ben had just left for work and I sat down at the computer to work on school. I had 3 assignments due today (Sunday the 14th) and I like to get them in the day before the due date, just in case, then I at least have a 24 hour window to panic and still get things in on time. (Can you tell I've been a student for a while?) I sat down and started music which got me thinking about lyrics and I went off on a tangent looking for Breaking Benjamin something or other. So, IE froze. Not totally abnormal, I tried to get to task manager and couldn't get any response whatsoever. Then it started to sound different, like it was trying to think but kept getting stuck. It was almost like the clicking a battery does when you try to start a dead car. Then a black screeen, no warning, no nothing, just dead, all lights off. I sat there for a second wondering what to do. I was in disbelief that I had just watched my reliable computer go blank on me! And then suddenly I realized I had 2000 pictures on there that I had not exported off yet. I just purchased flash drives and transfered 10 gigs worth of music off the hard drive, pics were next, but I had not gotten around to it yet. OH CRAP!!! Maybe this was just the normal crash, that has happened a couple times before, we've restarted, recovered and been no worse for the wear, this would be just like that, right?! RIGHT!!! It certainly HAD to be! I couldn't lose all of Rowan's baby pictures in one shot could I? Oh goodness! What was I gona do? I tried pulling the battery out, (swearing) restarting, (crying) putting in recovery discs, (screaming) everything, (begging for it to work!) worked on it for 2 hours and finally gave in and piled the boys in the car, drove the 45 minutes to San Tan Village and enlisted the help of the Geek Squad. "Big D" took a look at it for me, as soon as he powered it up he said, "The hard drive isn't functioning." Fabulous. I was sure we were looking at dropping $600 to buy a new computer. However, Big D told me he could put a new hard drive in and the computer should be good to go again, that would be $80 instead. Thank Goodness! But at this point there was no way to recover anything we had on it! WAH! I really did lose all my pictures. SO, I went out to my Sugar Daddy (that would be Ben) and got his card and went back and picked up the computer. Deacon was going nuts by this point, he wanted to have some dinner and insisted that we go to In-N-Out Burger (he calls it the Arrow) so we stopped on the way home and spent the next 4 hours after we got home setting the cumputer back up, you forget all the stuff you have on a computer after a while, it's set up and it runs the wa you want to, I'm gona be tweaking for days, it really is like a brand new computer. The one bonus is that it's got about 100 more gigs of memory than it did before. Short story long, the hard drive crashed and we had to replace it. The pics at the top are the burned up hard drive. Big D said he had to give me back everything I originally came in with so I get to keep it, yay. I was surprised how small it is, it's only about 4 inches by 3 inches. All that information in such a small space, it's amazing what we can do with technology. I did lose all my pictures so if anyone has some good ones of my kids send them my way! Lesson learned, back up, back up, back up! My sister even tells me that all the time. Will I ever listen?

No comments: