
My Mother says she has a fabric addiction and she needs help to break her fabric habit, she buys it everywhere and is always working on some project, quilts, pillow cases, blankets, margarita glass holders ;) She is an amazing seamstress and could make just about anything, I think. I say who cares if she has a fabric addiction if this is the kind of thing she is producing with it! She may have a million projects going at once and continually be adding others but she always completes them and everything comes out absolutely beautiful. She gets so excited about each new thing she is making and I get excited with her. My Mother can make just about anything out of fabric and I could make just about anything out of paper. I can sew a straight line but that's about it, I just don't have the talent for it that she does. Fabric addiction or not, my Mother has a fantastic talent and I love that she shares it with the world. The quilt above is the one she made for Rowan, it is so cute, I love the fabrics she used and the machine quilting is so well done. Can you find the itty bitty baby that's sleeping on that quilt?

This is a closer shot of the fabrics she used, she told me the name of the line but I cannot remember it right now. This also shows the quilting.

I think this one is my favorite squares, those monkeys are so cute! I found some of these monkeys at Target but didn't have an extra $15 to buy one, darn it! I remember we had at least one when I was a little kid, I think it was my brothers though.

This is Deacon's quilt made by Nana. I wanted this quilt so bad I could taste it, I practically begged my Mom for it. At the time both my sister and my sister in law were pregnant along with me so there was a good chance I wasn't going to be the one to get this one. I love all of the different pieces of color in each square, I was so touched when my Mom finally gave me this quilt after Deacon was born (we did not know what he was until birth), he was the only boy born in that set of babies so I guess it was most appropriate for him rather than one of the girls.

Deacon wanted to show everyone that this is his quilt!!! Everything is mine, mine, mine. He told me today that Rowan is "his" brother. And Daddy is "his" Daddy also.

This is Maddox's quilt made for him by Nana. This one was made with actual Old Navy "Fourth of July" t-shirts, we donated a couple to the cause. I love this one too, we took a picture with Maddox on this quilt when he was a baby and sent it to Old Navy, I got a thank you letter from them.

The one that started it all! This is Marx's baby quilt made by Nana, it matches a larger quilt she made for me when I got married, I still have that one as well . I love that I have something for each of my sons when they get older that I can pass down to them from their Grandmother that was made by her hands. I have the baby quilt that my grandmother made for me, I would have given it to my daughter if I had one, but that one may stay packed away until I have a granddaughter of my own, it is very pink and not really a good fit for the boys. I am sentimental like that, I think we should hold onto our past generations and families should be able to look back on their heritage and see where we came from.
1 comment:
Thanks, Michelle, that's a nice tribute. I had forgotten about Deacon's quilt. Marx's quilt is sad...flowers? What was I thinking? Anyway, I guess that as I learn a little more and fabrics change quilts get cuter. Your granddaughter will appreciate the quilt from her great-great grandmother Shirley.
Post a Comment